Anyone who has Apple ID has unlimited access to iTunes, the app store and iCloud and because of that it is very important to always keep your password safe. However, it can happen to anyone to lose or forget his Apple ID password. Unfortunately, if this has happened to you then you do not have much choice and you may be required to reset your old password.
Luckily, resetting the Apple ID password is not a difficult task and you can do it very quickly. You only need to use the browser on your MAC computer, or alternatively you can do it directly from your iPad or iPhone.
And the good news are that you do not even have to reset the password immediately because you can always try to recover it first.
How to recover any Apple ID password using your email address or your security question
To reset your iCloud Activation Lock directly from Apple you can use your recovery email address which you have used when you have registered the account and a secondary account that is already set and verified. In this way the reset instructions will be sent to the email address which you have used when you have created the account. In case you remember your security question, you can reset the password directly on the web.
How to do it:
- Launch Safari on your MAC or iPhone
- Write http://iforgot.apple.com in the search bar
- Click “Enter your Apple ID”. Once you type in your Apple ID the recovery process will begin and you only need to press on “Next”
- Choose the option “Reset by Email” and you will be send the reset instructions in the verified recovery email address inbox (note that this is a different email than the Apple ID email)
- In case you have set a security question and you remember it you can choose “Answer Security Question” to reset the password directly on the web
Remember that in case you want to recover your password using your security question, make sure that you have used an answer which is not too simple and easy. It is always better to use random character password and later to note it down in your password manager.
Reset your Apple ID using the Two Step verification method
It is possible to reset the old Apple ID password using the two step verification method as well. To do it just follow the instructions bellow:
- Launch safari on your Apple device (you can use different browser)
- Search for http://iforgot.apple.com
- Enter your Apple ID
- Enter your Recovery Key
- Click next
- From the list choose your recovery device (you must have one available)
- Click Next—You will be sent verification code
- Enter the verification code and press Next
Now you can enter your new password which you can later use. It is recommended that you store this password into your password manager so you won’t need again to do password recovery.
According to some rumors that have been circulating lately, Apple is making fast progress on its new two factory authentication system and will soon introduce it to its devices. This system will not feature a recovery key. However, until this system is implemented we still need to rely on the old methods and if you want to have the best results and reset your Apple ID password then follow our step by step instructions.
It is now simple to recover your Apple ID
If you are unable to remember/find the email or the username of your Apple ID account then perhaps recovering them from Apple will solve the problem:
- Launch Safari (or the browser you are using ) on your iPhone
- Search for http://iforgot.apple.com.
- In the available sections find and choose Forgot Apple ID
- Type your First and Last name and then add your email address
- Write any other email (if you have used one before)
- Click next
- Press on Reset by Email
- Apple will send you reset instructions to your registered recovery email address (this email is different than the one which you have used for your Apple ID)
- In case you have set security question, you can choose the option to Answer Security question to reset your password directly from the website
- With this method you will be able to find and recover your lost or forgotten password using the email recovery address or by answering the security question